Steven J. Engelmyer
Steve is a partner and former chair of the Firm’s Litigation Department. He has more than 30 years of experience in all facets of commercial litigation with particular emphasis on insurance coverage, contract disputes, telecommunications, employment disputes, and environmental issues. He represents clients in a broad range of commercial disputes and acts as chief litigation counsel to numerous private and publicly-held companies.
Steve has extensive experience in litigating cases in both state and federal trial courts throughout the country and has also been appointed chair of numerous federal arbitration panels in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Steve was a federal prosecutor for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Philadelphia where he was responsible for several major prosecutions involving governmental fraud and environmental violations. He was also counsel for a Congressional committee for the U.S. House of Representatives where he was responsible for the organization and conduct of numerous hearings on national environmental and energy policy.
Assistant U.S. Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice in Philadelphia; and Of Counsel for the Environment, Energy and Natural Resource Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Represent Pennsylvania Manufacturers’ Association Insurance Company in recently settled complex and protracted coverage litigation involving claims by Penn State arising from the sexual abuse by its former Assistant Coach, Jerry Sandusky.
- Represented a national wireless telecommunications company in the resolution of a consumer class action concerning certain billing practices.
- Represented a major insurance carrier in the successful defense of a bad faith claim brought by a national nursing home organization.
- Represented a regional wireless provider in the successful resolution of tower leasing issues.
- Represented three whistleblowers in one of the largest qui tam (False Claims Act) cases brought against a pharmaceutical company in the United States.
- Successfully defended two senior telecommunication corporate executives in a restrictive covenant/trade secrets case.
- Represented a Las Vegas-based casino in an insurance claim for construction defects, resulting in recovery in excess of $30 million.
- Represented a Pennsylvania charter school in litigation pertaining to non-renewal of charter certification.
- Responsible for defense of a claim against a national architectural firm by the Miami Heat basketball team for construction defects in its arena.
Recognition & Accomplishments
- Certificate of Commendation for Outstanding Performance, U.S. Department of Justice
- Best Lawyers in America (2018-2022)
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2010, 2013-2021)
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
Board of Directors, Arden Theatre Company
Matthew Haverstick quoted in the Media on mail ballots being mysteriously requested to a P.O. Box