Kleinbard’s attorneys provide extensive transactional legal services to private equity investors and portfolio companies. We advise investors on the appropriate structure for their investments and represent those investors and portfolio companies in a variety of acquisition and sale transactions. In addition, we have also represented various committees of the board of directors of portfolio companies in conducting internal investigations.
Our experience includes handling the following matters:
- Initial institutional rounds;
- Preferred Equity Rounds A, A-1, B, B-1, and C;
- Mezzanine debt with or without warrants;
- Leveraged buyouts;
- Minority investments;
- Majority investments with rollovers;
- “Tuck in” acquisitions by portfolio companies; and
- Liquidity transactions for investors.
Examples of our attorneys’ successes in private equity transactions include:
- Represented the management team of Digital Bridge Holdings LLC (“Digital Bridge”) in connection with the acquisition of Digital Bridge by Colony Capital, Inc. (NYSE: CLNY) (“Colony”), a leading global investment management firm, for $325 million. In connection with the Colony acquisition, represented Marc C. Ganzi, a founder and Chief Executive Officer of Digital Bridge, in connection with his employment agreement to become the CEO of Colony, succeeding Thomas J. Barrack, Jr.
- Represented DataBank, a leading provider of enterprise-class data center, connectivity and managed services, in connection with Colony Capital’s (NYSE: CLNY) $185 million investment into DataBank through the purchase of secondary equity interests from existing investors Edgewater Funds and Allstate.
- Represented Digital Bridge Advisors, LLC (“Digital Bridge”) in connection with raising $800M to fund the acquisition of Etix Group S.A of Luxembourg, as well as the development of new greenfield hyperscale data center campuses in Frankfurt, Berlin, Milan, Zurich and Warsaw, Poland.
- Representing an investment fund in a convertible bridge loan and preferred B investment in a niche-consumer brand company.
- Representing the sponsor of a private equity fund in the sale of an equity interest in the LLC sponsor to a financial investor.
- Representing a private equity fund in an investment in several commercial real estate properties.
- Representing the management team in a rollover investment in the sale from a Blackstone investment portfolio to a Macquarie Infrastructure fund.
- Representing a strategic investor in the purchase of convertible preferred equity in a company providing battlefield wound care technology to the military branches.
- Representing a consolidator in the veterinary industry in several acquisitions of veterinary hospitals and related businesses.