Bernard B. Kolodner
Bernie is of counsel in the Business and Finance Department. He practices in the areas of development, design and construction, purchase and sale, leasing (landlord and tenant representation), joint ventures and partnerships, financing, zoning, permitting, tax assessment appeals, and charitable exemptions.
Bernie has extensive experience in developing shopping centers and other commercial developments, from acquisition through permitting, environmental issues, financing, and design and construction. He has represented hospitals, schools, manufacturers, and investors, and has worked with publicly-traded companies, individuals, and small businesses. Bernie has represented both landlords and tenants for significant blocks of space, and buyers and sellers of vacant ground and high-rise buildings, and has prepared form leases and construction contracts for commercial undertakings.
In addition, Bernie has worked with governmental and quasi-governmental entities in significant transactions. He is active in the community and has served as a chair and vice chair of various Federation committees and organizations. Bernie has also conducted several lectures and has written and moderated panels for continuing education credits on various real estate topics.
- Represented a municipal entity in connection with the creation of a new courthouse.
- Represented a developer in the assemblage and development of a shopping center.
- Represented a publicly-traded company in the creation of its form construction contracts.
- Represented a charter school in the acquisition of a building as well as the completion of a $14 million construction project, which included obtaining tax-exempt financing through the Philadelphia Authority for Industrial Development successfully securing zoning variances, and negotiating agreements with a construction manager, architect, and several subcontractors.
- Represented a church in the restructuring of its finances with its lender.
- Represented an individual in the acquisition of a shopping center.
American Bar Association
- Chair, Commercial Real Estate Transactions Group, Real Property Division of the Real Property, Trusts and Estates Section
- Vice Chair, Design and Construction Committee
- Chair, Easements, Covenants and Restrictions Committee
Board of Directors, Real Property Section, Philadelphia Bar Association
Recognition & Accomplishments
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers (2006-2022)
- Best Lawyers in America (2018-2022)
- Director, Beachcomber Swim Club
- Trustee, Jewish Federation of Greater Philadelphia
Matthew Haverstick quoted in Law 360 on the Factors Contributing to the Firm’s Recognition as a Pennsylvania Powerhouse
Philadelphia’s New “Turn The Key” Program to Generate more Opportunities for Developers to Build Affordable Housing