Kleinbard has experience representing a wide range of nonprofits, including universities, social service organizations, community development corporations, quasi-public corporations, religious institutions, charter schools, and workforce development agencies.
Given the diverse needs of our nonprofit clients, we bring legal skills from various practice areas to further their interests. From real estate transactions to governance challenges, insurance coverage questions to employee claims, we work with nonprofit management and boards to protect and strengthen their organizations.
Many of our lawyers have substantial experience serving in leadership capacities for a diverse group of civic, religious, and community nonprofits. For example, Kleinbard attorneys have board experience on the Committee of 70, Philadelphia Gas Works, Bright Hope Baptist Church, the Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation, the Hispanic Bar Association, and the Abramson Center. Our board experience is invaluable in offering a perspective that informs our ability to provide relevant legal counsel and strategic guidance.
Examples of successes we have achieved on behalf of our nonprofit clients include:
- Assisting a workforce development agency in obtaining critical funding from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- Representing a regional social service agency in connection with a merger with a national organization, including obtaining Orphan’s Court approval as well as approval from the Office of Attorney General.
- Representing a regional healthcare provider in the condominium-ization, sale, and development of its real estate, including with regards to leasing, construction contract review, and financing.
- Representing a community development corporation in connection with the sale of a cellular communications tower and related tower leases to a publicly-held tower company.
- Representing a neighborhood improvement district undertaking the redevelopment of under-used, downtown, municipal land to create a vibrant, pedestrian-friendly, and better used space.
- Representing a community development corporation in buying, selling, and leasing properties targeted to improve a neighborhood.
- Representing a nationally renowned country club in providing deferred compensation programs, executive employment agreements, and employment counseling.
- Providing intellectual property, licensing, and employment counseling and advice to a prestigious regional tourism and marketing agency.