Kleinbard has a long history of representing manufacturing clients in the Philadelphia region, dating back to the Firm’s inception in 1939. At that time, the Firm focused on the representation of the management of primarily family-owned, local manufacturing plants with unionized workforces in connection with union contracts.
Today Kleinbard maintains a robust roster of manufacturing clients and understands the issues and legal concerns they face at every stage of the business cycle, particularly in the current complex economic environment. We provide advice and counseling on a broad array of issues encountered by manufacturing entities, including those related to contracting, business operations, real estate, and taxation, and also offer litigation support as necessary.
We have represented, among others, manufacturers of water treatment equipment, gaming equipment, art and writing supplies, iron and steel, textiles, petroleum and fuel products, aerospace products, metal products, and testing equipment, as well as chemical companies.
Our successful efforts on behalf of manufacturers include:
- Representing a water treatment equipment manufacturer in a joint venture with a supplier of anthracite located in the Pacific Rim in marketing equipment to municipal water treatment plants.
- Handling a dispute to obtain insurance coverage in connection with a claim by the general contractor of the largest water treatment plant in Dubai.
- Assisting the largest HVAC manufacturer supplying the domestic residential market with acquisition of a troubled company.
- Selling a family-owned metal office furniture manufacturer.
- Representing the third generation and current CEO in the transition of ownership and management of a family-owned building materials manufacturer.
- Successfully defending a petroleum product manufacturer and fuel product refiner in several asbestos litigation cases, including securing the voluntary dismissal of a number of cases in the face of persuasive summary judgment motions.
- Defending discrimination claims and providing counseling to a high-end jewelry manufacturer in connection with a reduction of force.
- Successfully defending a manufacturing company against a trademark infringement claim arising from the use of color to designate source on industrial equipment.
- Assisting a metals manufacturer with a major facilities project, including working with the Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC), obtaining low-interest financing, handling the acquisition and sale of the buildings, preparing construction contracts, securing tax-free recognition as a section 1031 like kind exchange, and obtaining zoning approvals.